Review: Hate Is Such A Strong Word by Sarah Ayoub

Thursday 23 October 2014

18080157Hate Is Such A Strong Word by Sarah Ayoub
Released: 1st September 2013
Published by: HarperCollins Publishers Australia
Genre: YA Contemporary
Source: Bought
Pages: 256
My Rating: 5 of 5 stars
Goodreads | Bookworld | Dymocks
I hate being invisible. I hate that I still can′t fight my own battles. I hate that I can′t keep up with the demands of high school.

Sophie Kazzi is in Year 12 at an all-Lebanese, all-Catholic school where she is invisible, uncool and bored out of her brain. While she′s grown up surrounded by Lebanese friends, Lebanese neighbours and Lebanese shops, she knows there′s more to life than Samboosik and Baklawa, and she desperately wants to find it. Unfortunately, her father has antiquated ideas about women, curfews and the Lebanese ′way′. Bad news for Sophie, who was hoping to spend Year 12 fitting in and having fun - not babysitting her four younger siblings, or studying for final exams that will land her in an Accounting course she has no interest in.

 Just when it looks like Sophie′s year couldn′t get any more complicated, Shehadie Goldsmith arrives at school. With an Australian father and a Lebanese mother, he′s even more of a misfit than Sophie. And with his arrogant, questioning attitude, he also has a way of getting under her skin...

But when simmering cultural tensions erupt in violence, Sophie must make a choice that will threaten her family, friends and the cultural ties that have protected her all her life. Are her hates and complaints worth it? Or will she let go ... and somehow find her place?
This is a book that caught my eye at BTCYA - and it certainly didn't disappoint! In Hate Is Such A Strong Word, Sarah Ayoub has created a fantastic and memorable novel where the main character is challenging cultural stereotypes, sticking to morals and values which she has for herself and taking the big step out of her comfort zone to ascertain her true identity within the broader Australian community. This novel is one in which I applaud the author for exploring the issues which can arise due to prejudices and misconceptions regarding various ethnic enclaves and finding the balance between maintaining aspects of one's cultural heritage with the 'new ways' from the country in which their family has settled. 

I think about the fact that lots of the people around me are content to live in their little squares, without ever considering the plights of others. Suddenly the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' makes perfect sense, and I understand why half the kids at my school have pretty blissful lives. 

What really stood out to me about this book was the main character and narrator Sophie. Coming from a Lebanese background in a relatively strict household with a father who wants to shelter her from any possible dangers of the outside world, she does stand out from some of her friends when it comes to having an early curfew, or not going to places at all because of the rules she is bound by. While she respected her family and their values, she also had those of her own. I admired her for the way in which she was assertive when others went against the new half-Australian guy Shehadie Goldsmith who came into the picture at school - even though it was a gradual progression from sticking to the crowd to being brave enough to voice her own opinion.

What is this situation if not an opportunity to grow, learn and prosper? Difference can make us stronger; we just have to be strong enough to accept it. 

Aside from going into the multifaceted nature of Lebanese culture regarding social expectations, family gatherings and even the food (which sounded delicious), I really like how this novel looks at the universal experiences which all teens can relate to such as friendship dynamics shifting, boy troubles and getting along with siblings and other family members. All of these relationships are ones that Sophie had to juggle, and I felt that the depiction of these and her ways of coping with them were very relatable and realistic. I found that Hate Is Such A Strong Word is quite character-driven at its core, and with one that Sarah Ayoub has created so wonderfully, it only made me enjoy this book even more. That being said, the secondary characters also have their own distinct features and problems to deal with, adding further depth to the story.


FINAL THOUGHTS

This is my first read by Sarah Ayoub, and I can definitely say that it was an impressive one. No doubt when I see her next novel on the shelf I'll be picking it up with eager hands - because if it's anything of the same calibre as this one; then it's going to be fantastic! In all, this gets a well-deserved five stars from me.

15 comments :

  1. I liked this one but didn't love it. I kind of thought that Sophie was a bit whiny? Also, I read it around the same time as Looking for Alibrandi - nothing can live up to that! But I can't believe this was the first novel Sarah every wrote. That's impressive. Glad you liked it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't read Looking for Alibrandi but I've heard great things about Melina Marchetta so I'll definitely be getting to that soon! As a debut novel, I agree - this one is certainly impressive :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this lovely review, Eugenia. It is a blessing when people buy your books, a joy when they like them but a privilege when they share them with their audiences. I am so lucky to share this space with other wonderful authors and to be supported in my work by wonderful fans of the genre like yourself. I am so glad that you enjoyed it, and after reading Emily's comment above, I know I got the characterisation right and listened to my editor - Sophie was meant to be a whinger! Hope you like my next book and look forward to meeting you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sarah! I found Sophie to be a positive whinger when she came to question the examples of prejudice around her, which was a good thing since she tried to encourage change and acceptance. It was lovely meeting you, and thank you so much for visiting my blog :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! I've been meaning to read this book for awhile now, considering that I've heard so many good things about it. I did borrow it from the library, but it had to go back before I had a chance to read it (damn those time limits!) and I do really want to try it. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara :) I know how you feel about those pesky time limits, but I do hope that you get to read this soon, I'd definitely recommend it!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you liked this one too! I LOVED IT! My only issue was that it was soooo much like Looking for Alibrandi. Just exchange Lebanon for Italy, basically (though to be honest, I preferred this one, I was just a bit concerned how really similar they were). x) I loved Sophie so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad to hear you enjoyed it too Cait :) I didn't really have 'Looking for Alibrandi' to compare it to since I haven't really read it - but since I liked this one I'll be checking it out too. I agree, Sophie was such a great character - one of the best examples of a female protagonist I've seen in contemporary YA recently.

      Delete
    2. I personally think Looking for Alibrandi was better LOL :) But I must say there is a point of difference in that Hate deals with reverse racism, since it's the Anglo on the receiving end of the prejudice most of the time. Plus, there's that whole all-Lebanese school thing as well, which adds to Sophie's frustration (Josie went to a mixed school). I think the fact that Alibrandi came out in 1992 and mine 21 years later shows that those topics of race and identity are still very relevant and it's sad that as a society we haven't addressed them entirely.

      Delete
  5. I haven't read this one because (shameful admission) it's been pushed to the back by the onslaught of US/UK YA releases that batter me every week. Hopefully I find some time to get around to it. It sounds positively wonderful and very much relevant to our context. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! x Fantastic review, Eugenia! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally understandable Jess - there definitely so many fantastic new releases to be excited about all the time! If you have the chance to read this one, I'd definitely recommend it :)

      Delete
  6. I have been meaning to read this one since it came out. Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had too, and then when I saw it at the event I knew I had to get it and read it! It both met and surpassed my expectations :)

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to read this book! I found out about it at BTCYA too, and it was amazing listening to Sarah talking about HATE and meeting her too. Definitely going to be moving my to-read pile aside to read this one :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear you're excited about this book too Gina - hope you enjoy it :)

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!