Top Ten Tuesday: Books I feel differently about since then

Tuesday 24 May 2016



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by bloggers at The Broke and the BookishThis week I've  picked the top ten books I've changed my opinions about over time...

1. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer


Twilight (Twilight, #1)

It was the 'cool' thing to read back in 2008-2009 when I first got into this series. Did I love it at the time? (admittedly) Yes. Strangely enough, I never came around to reading Breaking Dawn, because by that time these books had lost their shimmer to me. Now the melodrama of it all just annoys me.

2. Being Here by Bary Jonsberg


25491448

I don't think I have this book enough of a chance when I first read it about eight years ago now, probably because I just wasn't mature enough to understand it. I think the initial 2 stars was a bit harsh, so I hope to come back to it one day.

3. The Museum of Mary Child by Cassandra Golds


7748595


This is a middle-grade novel which was brilliantly written, atmospheric, and just creepy enough to keep me on my toes. I'd be interested to see if it still holds that same magic for me today..

4. The Red Shoe by Ursula Dubosarksy


8340995

This is a book I'd definitely rate higher in hindsight. It provides a glimpse into life in Sydney in the 1950's and the effects of the some of the Cold War tensions which made their way onto Australian shores. This is a MG novel with more depth than what meets the eye.

5. The Reluctant Hallelujah by Gabrielle Williams

13055748

Looking back onto my last goodreds status for this, I wrote 'DNF - got too weird'. I honestly can't remember why - but now I'm curious and want to find out!

6.  Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell


16068905

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think I would give Fangirl the same 5 stars I did at the time if I were to read it again now. Whether it was a case of getting caught up in the hype of it all or otherwise, I think it may now be closer to a 3.5 compared to some of the other contemporaries I've really loved. 

7. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

855038

I'm becoming more interested in classics, especially in the realm of scifi/dystopias and so I want to give this book another chance (without the pressure of having to write an essay on it). 

8. Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys


7824322

This is another one of those 3-star reads which I would be likely to give more to now. I'm usually a big fan of historical fiction so want to revisit Between Shades of Gray soon. 

9. Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

11477878

I'm surprised to look back and see that I didn't really enjoy this one - now I think the satire of it all has grown on me. 

10. This is Shyness by Leanne Hall


8061032


It was a unique read which didn't quite resonate with me the first time around, but I'd be willing to give it another try for sure.

What books have you come to reconsider?

10 comments :

  1. I'm with you on Fangirl. I liked it at the time, but I'm sure if I went back to it now I might not feel the same now as I had then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it was so hyped up at the time that it was easy to get swept up along with it.

      Delete
  2. I think a lot of my early paranormal YA loves I will feel differently about now, particularly Twilight. It was so addictive and popular back then but the butt of all jokes now lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha - so true Jeann! It's still probably the first book people think of when you say 'vampires in books', but these days it is largely looked back on with embarrassing nostalgia.

      Delete
  3. I really need to check out Beauty Queens, it sounds like my kind of book.

    Hah, Twilight...don't we all feel that way? I must admit, I'd probably still enjoy the (first three) books if I read them now, but they're like popcorn movies - except in book form. Trashy, not nutritious and definitely ridiculous. The difference is, we're more aware of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would probably enjoy it Wattle, I'd definitely recommend giving it a go! That's definitely true about Twilight - great insight.

      Delete
  4. I hated Beauty Queens the first time I read it too! I think I even DNFed it? And I never, ever do that. But thank God, I reread it. It's one of the best diverse reads I've ever read. No regrets giving it second go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's great to hear you enjoyed it the second time around Rachel, it definitely seems worth it.

      Delete
  5. I feel so differently about Divergent now that it's been a few years since I finished it...

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I probably have too and can definitely see where you'd be coming from Rachel - and I *still* haven't read Allegiant!

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!