Genie's Weekly News (53) - Shiny new look - Survey - Clearing my shelves with #booksfortradeau

Sunday 20 November 2016




Okay, okay...it's been way more than a week since my last blog update, but I'm finally back to be posting more often, and I have some fun things planned too! With uni done for the year it's been such a great feeling to read so much more again and be able to revamp Genie in a Book which I'd been wanting to achieve for a while. It seems to have gotten a positive reaction from you guys so far, but I'd be interested to know if you have any other ideas or feedback on what you want to see more of here, so there's a survey at the end of this post for that. 

Currently Reading



I'm reading two novels by emerging Australian authors at the moment, and though they're both very different to each other I'm enjoying them. Arrival is more of an adult mystery/thriller and The Price of Magic is a standalone YA novella with a heartwarming message at its core. Watch this space for reviews and author interviews coming soon!

Recommendation of the Week


Tara Eglington's latest release is a true gem in the field of Aussie YA. It's got realistically written characters which shine through right until the end.

Previous Posts

From the Interwebs


#booksfortradeAU


Once again I've been clearing my shelves and this time to actually make space I'm giving books away to fellow Aussie readers for the price of postage. Everything is up on twitter, though some are being snapped up fast! 

Book Haul


Even when I go to the library "just to return a few things"...I end up coming out with more books for my TBR.

  • Hot Little Hands by Abigail Ulman: 3/5 stars - This short story collection was in some ways compelling, but a few of them just didn't resonate with me. 
  • Music and Freedom by Zoe Morrison: I liked the sound of the premise for this one, on how music/playing the piano can play such a big role in someone's life. 
  • Way Down Dark by J.P. Smythe: This book was pretty hyped by bloggers last year so I'm keen to see how I like it.
  • A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler: This is another book that's gotten a lot of attention since it was released last year, and I'm looking forward to the emphasis on family.
  • When There's Nowhere Else to Run by Murray Middleton: Admittedly it was the cover which first lured me to this book, but the blurb definitely reaffirmed that it's something I'd want to read. A collection of short stories set in Australia, I'm hoping to find some well-written ones in here.


Bookish Quote of the Week

If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book. – J.K. Rowling

What I've Been Watching

Image source: Netflix Australia 

It's been back to historical dramas for me, finishing Season 3 of Peaky Blinders and starting to watch The Crown on Netflix. I've found The Crown really interesting so far and the cast is brilliant - Claire Foy and Matt Smith work so well as the Queen and King. 

Survey

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!