Top Ten Tuesday: Haunting Horror on my TBR

Tuesday 28 February 2017



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish. With no set theme for this week, I've gone with some horror novels that are still sitting on my TBR. Though it's not a genre I usually would go for, there's so much to choose from and I'm always up for a good read!


1. The Shining by Stephen King


I've only read Carrie by the renowned Stephen King so far - and this one has had some shining reviews of its own...very promising. 

2. A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay


This one has come to my attention as a recommendation, and with the support of Stephen King it must be good! The psychological element and even a reality TV show being involved in the plot makes this sound like a thrill.

3. The Late Breakfasters and Other Strange Stories by Robert Aickman


This collection of short stories appears to take suburban America in the 1960's with a dark twist. 

4. We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson


I'm currently reading The Bird's Nest by Shirley Jackson and have previously read her short story The Lottery, so I can definitely see how Jackson has such a large fan base for her work. This Gothic novel seems like one not to be missed.

5. Experimental Film by Gemma Files 


I couldn't help but be reminded of Night Film by Marisha Pessl when I saw this title, but from the blurb I think this book will be memorable in its own way. It won the Shirley Jackson award in 2015 so I'm even more eager to read it for myself.  

6. The Troop by Nick Cutter


This book is meant to be so scary it can disturb even the most experienced of horror fans...so should I give it a go? Curiosity may just get the better of me.

7. Blood and Salt by Kim Liggett


A YA 'romantic horror' definitely sounds like something different - perhaps not as dark as some of the others on this list, but somewhere to start. 

8. Universal Harvester by John Darnielle 


Aside from that brilliant cover, the story itself has all the hallmarks of a fascinating one. Exploring the nostalgia related to video stores and movies corrupting themselves...I'm intrigued. 

9. Geek Love by Katherine Dunn 


If not all horror has to be completely terrifying, then Geek Love makes this list. Memorable characters and a unique take on the family unit makes this a book I'm keen to give a chance. 

10. House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski


I've only had a flick-through this one so far since just recently buying it - and while it may appear disjointed in so many ways, I'm excited to see how a story unfolds among the chaos. 


Have you read any of the books on this list? What horror novels would you recommend? 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!