Genie's Weekly News (61) - Taking recommendations, reaching reading goals, finding a blogging balance

Sunday 11 February 2018


The quote on my calendar for this month is from Maya Angelou: "Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better". It got me thinking, where do I see this blog improving and what's really important? Though it's been said before in the blogging community, the aphorism 'it's all about balance' is still relevant. Blogging is something I genuinely enjoy doing, so though I may not always be able to post as often as I'd like, I do try to spend time on the content that does go up here. I may have just missed out on completing my goodreads challenge last year, and even though I've set it for 50 again this time around, it's a good feeling to let go of all the effort worrying about reaching a certain number just for the sake of it. When it comes to my interests, I've realised it's about reading what I love, stepping out of my comfort zone at times to try something new, and still leaving room for the other important facets of my life. As I said in my past recap, it's about appreciating the little things which can put a smile on your face.

Currently Reading


I know what you're thinking - "what a weird combination!"...and that would be right. But, they've both come highly recommended and I'm actually starting to tick off some of the books on my TBR posts for non-fiction and paranormal genres. In their own very different ways, they're both great reads so far. It's a win-win.

Previous Posts


  • I shared my Stella Sparks on books I read by Australian women writers in 2017


Recommendation of the Week


I'll have a full review up soon, but for now I'll say that this book is delightfully charming, quirky and heartwarming. This was a feel-good read that made me laugh and had a romance blossom with a twist. If you want a book to make you smile then please pick up Happiness for Humans, you won't regret it!

What I've Been Watching

Black Mirror: I finally got around to watching the latest season, and while it was gripping as ever - it felt much darker than the ones before it. Binge-worthy? For some, maybe. Even though every episode was equally thought-provoking, it's also disturbing enough to want to take a break between episodes and watch videos of fluffy kittens or something.

Black Books: As a bookseller how have I not started watching this until now? It's the type of ridiculous comedy that you'll either cringe at or die laughing, but I can definitely see myself getting through its three seasons.


What's the last book you read that made you smile?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!