Genie's Weekly News (62) - Shakespeare with a twist, new books on my shelves and the latest thrillers I'm recommending

Sunday 18 March 2018



I always enjoy seeing how Bell Shakespeare Company interprets Shakespeare's classics, and 'Antony and Cleopatra' did not disappoint! Of course, there's always room for some creative license, and the' ultra-modern set with the lighting effects and brilliant cast made all the difference. It was definitely a refreshing take on an ancient tale of love and the all-consuming quest for power which holds its roots in actual historical events. 

I'm looking forward to watching how Julius Caesar' compares later this year, though in between I'm sure their take on Moliere's The Misanthrope is sure to be a hit - according to the site it features a strong female lead who is 'savvy and sophisticated' and 'rejects false flattery' in a witty satire. It sounds like it might be the most relatable and sassy play of the year, I can't wait until tickets are released!


Now that uni has gone back for the semester, I've been trying to squeeze in as many books as I can between my compulsory readings, going through more than a few post-its and mugs of coffee in the process. While I haven't been posting as often on this little corner of the internet, some of my writing has been featured in Vertigo magazine with a review of The High Places by Fiona McFarlane.

Currently Reading


This book has been surrounded by hype since its release in January, so I've been keen to see if it really is the next Gone Girl or The Girl on the Train. The verdict so far? I'm already halfway through and there are subtle hints to the malice lurking behind closed doors, but I'm waiting for a big reveal to surprise me. It's a funny coincidence that I've started reading The Woman in the Window after finishing another one which also has a focus on questioning just how well you know your neighbours...


Recommendation of the Week


Like Sally Hepworth's previous releases, The Family Next Door offers a portrait of the challenges motherhood brings and secrets simmering beneath the surface of a perfect facade. But this latest novel is so much more, with suspenseful drama playing off every page, leaving you wondering just what the neighbouring women in Pleasant Court really have to hide. There was a twist I did not see coming, and that's what every good thriller needs! 

On the interwebs

  • The Stella Prize 2018 shortlist has been announced, with a few on there that I haven't heard of but hope to read by the end of the year.
  • Applications are open to bloggers, artists and other content creators to be part of the National Young Writer's Festival, closing on the 31st March. 

New additions to my shelves


  • The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night by Jen Campbell: The hardcover of this book looks stunning. and I can't wait to begin exploring the short stories inside.
  • Glitter by Aprilynne Pike: I discovered this on the shelf at work the other day and it sounds amazing already, depicting the scandals at the Versailles palace in a near-futuristic setting. It's reminding me just slightly of Claudia Gray's A Thousand Pieces of You with the past-meets-future vibe. 
  • Small Spaces by Sarah Epstein: This is next on my list to read and releases on 1st April! I'm always excited for debut Australian writers, and this riveting YA thriller is going to be big.

What are you reading this week?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment below - I love reading them!